Thursday, June 3, 2010

CHARACTER DESIGN 07 _ Chickiepoo & Fluff


To counteract last week's gore. Here are some glamour shots of designs I did for a pre-school pilot for Nick Jr back in 2008. It was called "Chickiepoo & Fluff: Barnyard Detectives." It starred Chickiepoo (the girl), her brother Fluff, and their baby brother Fuzzworth. With the help of the home viewer, they solved mysteries on the farm.

I'll show some production files in the future but overall these were originally designed by hand, and then rendered through a process that involved hand-drawn Flash animation as a guide that was then textured and layered in Photoshop. Animation Director Elana Allen was instrumental in fleshing out these chicks and making them more three dimensional and animation-ready. Additional animation was done by puppetting parts in After Effects and the backgrounds were designed in Photoshop with original elements handcrafted by artist Astrid Riemer.

All said, what a talented team and adorable concept for a show that won it's Pilot Season but never quite found its niche on the network.

Side note: Fluff has my cow lick and I'll never stop enjoying the "Feathers Erupting from a Diaper" design of Fuzzworth.



15 comments:

  1. Cool. I saw a short video on Nick Jr. (latin america) last week and liked the animation and style a lot.

    Was doing a google search about 'Chickiepoo' today and found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Alejandro!

    I'll post more about Chickiepoo next week. It was a very sweet concept with some innovative animation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The father Chickiepoo looks a little bit like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I constantly wonder why this never got its own full show. The Nick Jr people really should revisit this. The designs are just adorable. I smile whenever I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chickiepoo-ers!

    It's nearly impossible to not draw yourself into your work. Fluff totally has my hair.

    I can also tell you that the main characters from Nick Jr.'s Team UmiZoomi look exactly like their creators.

    More Chickiepoo on the blog next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my kids love chikiepoo :)We see it on nick jr every day

    ReplyDelete
  7. donde puedo encontrar el video en español de chickie poo y fluff

    ReplyDelete
  8. @roberthlozya - no sé si hay video. pero, es en Nick Jr. (latin america).

    !Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  9. no existe el video, solo lo he encontrado en portugués y en ingles en español aun no aparece

    ReplyDelete
  10. la cancion es muy pegajosa, a mi sobrina de 2 años le encanta!! yo le digo que ella se parece a Chickiepoo!!! jeje saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A mi hijo les encantan!!!
    Mi son loves chickiepoo & fluff & their song!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a mi hijo de 10 meses le fascina chickie poo y fluff

    ReplyDelete
  13. While nick jr. sits hatching their thumbs. my 2 year old would be more than happy to have me decorate his room with some posters, cards, or whatever you want to sell, to help fund future episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hah - thanks for saying so, Dideaman. It's out of my hands and I don't own the rights to sell likenesses of the characters. But, thanks for visiting here and I'll see what else I have to share...

    ReplyDelete